Wednesday 6 June 2012

Civil Services Exam 2011-12 IAS Topper Interview with Ms.Aparna



UPSC-Civil Services Exam 2011-12 IAS Topper Interview with Ms.Aparna

An Exclusive Interview
Name: G.Aparna
Rank: 129th Rank
Roll No: 38928

1.      Brief Bio data

I did my schooling from chennai and M.Sc (hons) biological sciences from BITS-Pilani. After my graduation in 2008 I started my UPSC preparation.

2.      Your interest in CSE

Started as a childhood ambition. Real interest started in BITS-Pilani as I had seniors from Pilani preparing for UPSC.

3.      Subject Selection

Had psychology as an elective during my graduation so I decided that as one of the optional. I chose sociology after a suggestion from my friend. I initially found it difficult . Being a science student I m used to writing answers in points and from specific data. I loved Sociology but writing answers were always scary. Great motivation from my teacher and my friend helped me.

4.      Coaching if any

I took Sociology classes from Surendra Singh Sir in Delhi. Psychology class from arun Sir in Rau's and used Vajiram psychology notes. Mains GS Classes from Ganesh sir and interview coaching from ganesh sir

5.      Preparation Strategy

My sociology preparation had great help from Surendra singh sir. I followed his notes only. GS guidance used ganesh sir notes. I had problem with prelims but CSAT was of great advantage for me.
 I wrote a complete prelims test series. I prepared based on that schedule. It helped me complete and revise on time.
I wrote mains tests. Writing practise was of great help. Attending constant discussion class helped cover topics which were new and which would otherwise have taken a long time and more effort. I took psychology test from Ram Gopal Sir in Ganesh IAS. He helped with correcting my answers and giving better suggestions. 

6.      Book List

Psychology: notes (vajiram); psychology by Baron, NCERT, psychology by morgan and king
Sociology:  Sir notes, Sociology thinkiers by abraham morgan
GS: chronicle magazine, hindu paper, Sir notes, NCERT, "spectrum" history.
I used internet a lot to get information.

7.      Examination Experience

My prelims west good so I started preparation for mains early. I found mains exam were new experience to me. Sociology paper was long and second paper  was a little general.
I found GS difficult. I tried attending as much as possible. I dint know a lot in 2 mark and short notes. I attended full statistics.
Psychology paper was ok, it was long. time management was the key.
I wrote the essay after organising the thought first in points. then ordering the points. and forming paragraph.

8.      Total Marks scored
            Roll No: 038928
            Name: G APARNA
MARKS OBTAINED
SUBJECTS
MARKS
ESSAY (PAPER-III)
109
GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-IV)
094
GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-V)
141
OPTIONAL-I(PSYCHOLOGY) (PAPER-VI)
184
OPTIONAL-I(PSYCHOLOGY) (PAPER-VII)
147
OPTIONAL-II(SOCIOLOGY) (PAPER-VIII)
168
OPTIONAL-II(SOCIOLOGY) (PAPER-IX)
121
WRITTEN TOTAL
964
PERSONALITY TEST
210
FINAL TOTAL
1174

Remarks:-RECOMMENDED  



9. Any other tips you wish to share.

The important thing in UPSC is following a style of preparation which is comfortable for you and which you are used to. There is no specific set standard variety of preparation. I prefer small classes and where there is scope for discussion with the teacher. Just taking class is not necessary. After graduation you will be able to read from books and understand. Only in places where you have doubts you need to clarify. When a class does not give such a scope for discussion then it is useless. Having a rapport with the teacher and continuing with them for the full year period will be useful. By that time the teacher will be able to evaluate you and help you with specific things during interview preparation. Writing practice is very essential for mains. never feel low when the test series does not go well. Make a lot of mistakes and it ll be helpful. When a test paper is done, read all related topics from the questions. Teach your friends if you have a chance to. It will register the concept stronger and when you clarify their doubts you will understand it better. Most important thing if you are not comfortable with hostel and it is possible for you to stay at home and study then its the best thing to do. preparation is a minimum one year process and taking care of health is very important. Writing mains requires a lot of stamina. 6 hours paper in a day is really tough.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If You are really good or even fairly good in English means, you may go with English medium. Because, the success ratio of English medium is always better than Hindi or any other vernacular medium.

    ReplyDelete